您好,欢迎访问全国教育考试教材网
商品分类

形容职场干练的词语

正在加载视频.

Hello, everyone, and welcome back to ‘English With Lucy.’

你好,欢迎你和露西一起学习英语。

Today, we are going talk about 10 words that will make you sound smart at work in English.

今天我要谈谈听起来你在工作中练习的10个英语单词。

This video is perfect for improving your vocabulary, but if you want to improve your pronunciation and your listening skills even further, then I highly recommend you try the special method of combining reading real books with listening to audiobooks at the same time.

但是,如果你想进一步提高你的发音和听力,我强烈推荐读书和用Audible听有声读物相结合的特别方法。

Let me explain.

让我解释一下。

Take a book you’ve already read in English or a book that you would like to read in English.

选择你已经读过的书,或者你想读的用英语写的书。

I’ve got lots of recommendations down below in the description box, and read it whilst you listen to its audiobook counterpart on Audible.

我在以下说明栏推荐了很多。 然后,一边读这本书一边听有声读物的版本。

Reading on its own will not help with your pronunciation.

只是读是不会帮助你发音的。

The way a word is spelled or written in English doesn’t really give you much indication as to how it’s pronounced in English.

一个单词的拼法和写法不教它的读法。

Take a look at this word.

请看这个单词。

I could pronounce it ‘/ri: d/.’

你可以把这个读作/ri:d/。

I could pronounce it ‘/red/.’

可以将其读作/red/。

If you listen to a word as you’re reading it, your brain will start to make connections, and next time you read that word, you’ll know how it’s pronounced, and next time you hear that word, you’ll know how it’s spelled.

如果你在读单词的时候还听到了发音,大脑就会开始产生联系。 这样,下次看到那个词的时候,就知道怎么读了。 然后,下次听到那个词的时候,我就知道怎么拼写和写了。

This is such an effective method.

这是非常有效的方法。

It’s helped so many of my students.

你帮助了我很多学生。

And the best part is, you can get one free audiobook.

而且最好的是拿到免费的有声读物。

That’s the 30-day free trial with Audible.

那是在Audible的30天免费试用。

All you have to do is click on the link down in the description box and sign up.

只需单击说明栏中的链接进行注册即可。

I’ve also got lots of audiobook recommendations down there too.

我也在那里推荐了很多有声读物。

Right, let’s get started with the 10 words to make you sound smarter at work in English.

是的,开始说10个在工作中听起来很干练的英语单词吧。

Word number one is mundane.

第一个单词很单调。

Mundane.

单调的。

I love this word, and I use it fairly frequently.

我喜欢这个单词,经常使用它。

It’s an adjective, meaning very ordinary, lacking excitement, or dull.

这是形容词,意思是普通的、没有热情的或无聊的。

Now this is a really good one to use at work because in a professional environment, we’re constantly trying to not offend people, aren’t we?

这是适合在工作中使用的单词。 因为在专业的环境下,我们必须努力避免冒犯人们,对吧?

Especially in British workplaces, we don’t like to say things directly.

特别是在英式工作场所,我们不喜欢坦率地交谈。

We like to use other words to express how we really feel.

我们喜欢用其他语言来表达真实的感受。

Now instead of saying something is boring or uninteresting, using the word mundane can be really nice way of showing that you’re not interested in something.

所以我们没有说无聊或者无聊之类的。 使用单调这个词是表达你对某事不感兴趣的善良方式。

So, for example, if you wanted to say that you found a previous task or campaign or role very boring and not very exciting and just very average, you could say, ‘I found the role to be fairly mundane.’

例如,如果你觉得以前的任务、活动或职位很无聊,一点也不兴奋,很普通,“我发现那个职位相当单调。

It’s just not as negative, and you’re almost implying that your current role is really extraordinary and exciting.

那不是那么消极的。 而且,你基本上暗示了你现在的职位真的很超凡魅力和令人兴奋。

It’s also a good word to use in meetings if you’ve got a lot of boring things to talk about first before you move onto the interesting topic.

如果在进入有趣的话题之前有很多要讨论的话,这也是适合在会议中使用的词语。

You can say, ‘Right, let’s get all of the mundane tasks out of the way and then we can move onto something interesting.’

“好的,我们把这些单调的任务搞定,然后做点有趣的事吧。

Number two, another beautiful word is accolade.

第二个词,另一个精彩的单词是荣誉。

Accolade.

栄誉。

This word is a noun, and it means an acknowledgement of merit, or an award or privilege granted as a special honour.

这个单词是名词,意思是承认优点,作为报酬和特别荣耀的优待。

It’s a really nice way of avoiding the words prize or reward, which are quite mundane.

这是一个避免说出奖品和回报的好方法,那些话太单调了。

Perhaps you’re congratulating someone because they’ve won an award or a prize and you don’t want to repeat those words and you don’t want to say something else mundane, like ‘Well done,’ or ‘Wow. Great.’

你可能在对某人说恭喜。 因为他们获得了报酬和奖项。 而且,我不想重复那些话。 而且,我不想说“干得好”或“哇,好厉害”这样单调的话。

Saying something like, ‘That’s a tremendous accolade, congratulations’ is a really sincere and professional and heartfelt way of congratulating someone.

“这是一项殊荣。 恭喜”这句话是一种非常诚挚、专业、衷心祝贺某人的方式。

Or perhaps you want to emphasise how amazing an achievement is.

你可能想强调成果有多棒。

You could say, ‘Wow, that’s the biggest accolade in the industry.’

“哇,这是这一行中最大的荣誉。

Or maybe you’re doubting something or someone’s merit.

或者你可以说你怀疑什么或某人的优点。

You could say, ‘Do you think that accolade is deserved?’

“你觉得那个荣誉值得名吗? ”。

Various options for you.

你有很多选择。

Let’s move onto number three.

第三个吧。

And number three is capricious.

第三个词是反复无常。

Capricious.

反复无常的。

This is an adjective, and it means changing mood or behaviour suddenly and unexpectedly.

这是形容词,意思是突然毫无预兆地改变感情和行为。

It’s basically a nice way of warning someone that somebody is unpredictable and can maybe have a hot temper.

那是警告某人别人可能预料不到、容易生气的好方法。

So say you’d like to warn someone in your team that someone else is unpredictable, subject to mood swings, but you don’t want to be unprofessional and rude.

所以,你想警告你团队里的某个人另一个人预料不到,感情用事,但不想听起来不专业,粗鲁。

You could say, ‘Robert’s known to be a little capricious, so I’m not sure how he’ll react to that news.’

你可以说“罗伯特成名后有点反复无常”,所以我不知道他会如何应对那个消息。

Or you could use the term to speak about a team or department in general.

或者,也可以使用这个表达方式大致讨论某个团队或部门。

For example, ‘Despite the capricious nature of our marketing department, the campaign was a roaring success.’

例如:“尽管我们市场部反复无常,但这个活动还是一举成功了。”

Number five.

第五个。

This has been used to describe me many times.

这个已经被用来描述我很多次了。

It could be used to describe my hairstyle today.

它可以被用来描述我今天的发型。

It is dishevelled.

那就是衣衫不整的。

Dishevelled.

衣衫不整的。

Note that in American English, this is normally just spelled with one L.

注意在美式英语中,这个词一般只有一个l。

I just thought I would mention it before some smart corrects me, as they always do.

我只是觉得我得在一些聪明人纠正我之前提一下,他们总是这样做。

This is used to talk about someone’s clothes, hair, and appearance, and it means untidy or disordered.

这个词被用来谈论某人的衣着、发型和外貌,并且它意味着不整洁或杂乱的。

Hence why I used it to describe my untidy bun, or messy bun, as they call it nowadays.

因此我用它来描述我不整洁的发髻,或者按如今流行的说法,乱糟糟的发髻。

This can be used as a nicer way to comment on somebody’s untidy and potentially unprofessional appearance.

这个词可以用来不失礼貌地评论某人不整洁并且很可能是不专业的外表。

You don’t want to say, ‘Oh, you look very messy,’ or ‘You don’t look professional,’ ’cause that could be very insulting or it could ruin their confidence.

你不能说:“哦,你看上去很邋遢的”或者“你看上去不专业”,因为这样很侮辱人,或者会毁掉他们的信心。

If a colleague or employee comes into the office looking very messy, very disorderly, you could say something along the lines of, ‘You’re looking a bit dishevelled.

如果某个同事或员工进办公室的时候看上去非常邋遢,你可以像这样说:“你看上去有点衣衫不整。

‘Perhaps you can go and straighten up before the presentation.’

“也许你可以在展示之前整理一下仪表。

What you want to say is clear, but you don’t have to use insulting terms.

你要表达的意思很清楚,但是没必要使用侮辱性的话语。

Or perhaps it could be you asking for feedback.

还有一种可能是你在寻求反馈。

Maybe you’ve come back into the office after lunch and you’ve had a windy walk to the office.

也许你午饭后刚刚回到办公室,而你是走回办公室的时候刮风了。

You want to know if your hair still looks professional.

你想知道你的头发是否看起来依旧专业。

You could say, ‘Am I looking a bit dishevelled or am I okay?’

你可以说:“我看起来有点衣衫不整吗,还是看起来还行?”

Better than, ‘Do I look like a total hot mess or am I looking great?’

这样比你说:“我看起来乱七八糟还是干净整洁?”要好。

Number six is elucidate.

第六个词是阐释。

Elucidate.

阐释。

This means to make something clear or to explain something that was formerly murky or confusing.

这个词的意思是明确某事或解释原本非常晦涩或让人困惑的东西。

And there’s no wonder how this word came to be.

这个词是怎么来的一点都不奇怪。

It’s derived from lucid, and that itself is derived from the Latin word, excuse my pronunciation, lucre, it sounded more Italian, that, which means to shine.

这个是从lucid清晰的演化而来的,而lucid这个词本身是从拉丁语单词演化来的,请原谅我的发音,lucre,它听起来更像是意大利语,意思是照耀。

This is just a lovely word that you can use instead of explain, which itself is often very overused.

你可以用这个可爱的词去替换解释这个已经被用烂了的词。

It’s nice to have an alternative.

有替换的说法总是很好的。

I also think that this word can sound very professional, teetering toward stern.

我还认为这个词听上去很专业,趋向于严厉。

So if you want to be very serious with someone, and you want to ask them to explain themselves, you can ask them to elucidate.

所以如果你想很严肃地对待某人,并且你想要求他们自行解释的话,你可以要求他们阐释。

So if someone’s made a bad decision and you want an explanation, you can say, ‘Please elucidate the reasons for your decision.’

所以如果某人做出了一个错误的决定,而你想要一个解释,你可以说:“请阐释你做出决定的理由”。

Or maybe someone’s struggling to understand you and you’re getting slightly frustrated.

或者也许某人难以理解你,而你感到有点沮丧。

You can say, ‘You’ve not understood me.

你可以说:“你完全没理解我的意思。

Allow me to elucidate.

请允许我来阐释。

‘Allow me to explain further.’

“请允许我进一步解释。

Obviously, this was murky.

很显然,之前的内容很晦涩。

Make it more clear.

要让它更明晰。

Number seven.

第七个词。

This one’s fun to say.

这个词说起来很有趣。

Exacerbate.

雪上加霜。

Exacerbate.

雪上加霜。

I hope you’re all practising at home.

我喜欢你们能在家里练习这个词。

Exacerbate.

雪上加霜。

This is a verb.

这是一个动词。

This means to make a problem or negative situation even worse.

这个词的意思是让一个问题或负面的情况变得更糟。

So this is a great word to use if you’re talking about an increasing problem.

所以如果你要谈论一个越来越严重的问题,那么这个词就非常适合了。

For example, ‘Kerry’s redundancy will only exacerbate the staff shortage issue.’

比如:“凯丽的解雇只会给员工短缺问题雪上加霜。

Really, all we’ve said is, Kerry’s redundancy will make the staff shortage problem worse.

说真的,我们所说的意思就是凯丽的解雇只会给员工短缺问题变得更糟。

But exacerbate sounds so much better and more intelligent.

但是使用雪上加霜这个词要好得多。

Another example, ‘The high prices of raw materials only exacerbated the falling profits.’

另一个例子,“原材料的高价只会给不断下降的利润雪上加霜。

Number eight is quintessential.

第八个词是典范的。

Quintessential.

典范的。

This is an adjective used when something represents the most perfect example or a quality or class.

这个形容词被用来描述某事代表了最完美的范例,或某种品质或阶级。

For example, if a client is looking for a campaign that really represents their culture to a T, as in perfectly, you could say, ‘Out clients want the campaign to be quintessentially British,’ or wherever they’re from.

比如,如果一个客户正在寻求一个能够完美展示他们文化的活动,那么你可以说:“我们的客户希望这个活动能体现出英国文化的精髓”,或者其它任何一个国家。

Or talking about British traits, ‘Queuing, along with warm beer and afternoon tea is a quintessentially British trait.’

或者在谈论英国特色时,“排队,还有热啤酒,以及下午茶是英国特色的典范。

Number nine is ubiquitous.

第九个词是无所不在的。

Ubiquitous.

无所不在的。

This means present, appearing, or found everywhere.

这个词的意思是当前的,出现的,或者到处都是的。

If something is ubiquitous, it’s everywhere.

如果某事物无所不在,那么它到处都是。

Maybe you can use this in the workplace to talk about something that’s on trend.

也许你可以在职场中使用这个词来谈论正在流行的东西。

An example: ‘Leather is very much on trend this season, as is the ubiquitous denim.’

举个例子:“这一季皮革非常流行,就跟无处不在的牛仔服一样。

Denim is just always around.

牛仔服到处都是。

Or you can use it to discuss something that is overused or is overpresent.

或者你可以用它来讨论某个被过度使用或存在感太强的东西。

For example, ‘We live in a society where the term risk is ubiquitous.’

比如:“我们生活在一个风险无处不在的社会。

It’s just everywhere.

它到处都是。

We’re too worried about risks.

我们过于担心风险。

And number 10 is perfunctory.

第十个词是敷衍的。

Perfunctory.

敷衍的。

This is used to speak about an action that is done is a routine manner with little care.

这个词被用来谈论某件事是以一种例行公事,不甚用心的方式完成的。

This is a very good word to use if you want to imply that more care should be taken.

如果你想要表明应该更加小心的时候,这个词就非常适合了。

For example, ‘Their audit was completed in a perfunctory manner,’ as in, I wish they had taken more care with their audit.

比如:“他们的审计完全敷衍了事,”言外之意就是我希望他们能够更加小心地进行审计。

Or maybe if you want to warn someone that because an employee has been at a company at a very long time, they’re now doing things as if they’re a robot, rather than an engaged human being.

或者也许你想要警告某人,因为某个员工已经在某个公司待了很久了,而他们现在做事的样子就好像他们是个机器人一样,而不是一个投入的人类。

For example, ‘Due to the fact that Anne has done these tasks for many, many years, she now completes them in a perfunctory manner.’

比如:“由于安妮做这个工作已经做了很多年了,它现在完成它们的时候很敷衍。

Right, those were the 10 words that I have chosen for you so that you can appear more professional in the workplace or in a professional environment.

好的,以上就是我为你们挑选出的10个能让你在职场或专业环境中显得更专业的单词。

Feel free to share any more down below in the comments sections.

请随意地在下面的评论区里评论更多的单词。

I love hearing all of your recommendations and suggestions.

我想要听到你们所有人的推荐和建议。

Your homework is to write five sentences using five of these words, your five favourites.

你们的家庭作业就是用以上单词中的五个你最喜欢的单词造五个句子。

If you can, try to make them business-related sentences.

如果可以的话,试着造一些商务相关的句子。

Don’t forget to check out Audible and try out that special method of listening to audiobooks whilst reading the book version.

别忘记查看Audible并且试一试那个把听和读结合起来的特殊方法。

You can get your free audiobook and 30-day free trial by clicking on the link in the description box and signing up.

你们只需要点击描述栏中的链接并注册就是可获得免费的有声书以及30天的免费试用了。

And don’t forget to connect with me on all of my social media.

别忘记在我所有的社交媒体上联系我。

I’ve got my Facebook, my Instagram, my Twitter, and my second channel, my Lucy Bella Earl channel.

我有脸书、INS、推特,还有我的第二个频道Lucy Bella Earl。

Very funny.

有个很好笑的事。

I’ve had a lot of comments saying, ‘Oh my god, you’ve lost all your subscribers,’ ’cause people don’t realise it’s not the English With Lucy channel.

我收到很多评论说:“哦,我的天,你的粉掉光了,因为人们没有意识到这不是跟着Lucy学英语频道。

I have two channels.

我有两个频道。

And there, I talk about life, and everything that’s not to do with English.

在那里我会谈论生活,以及一切与英语无关的事情。

I will see you soon for another lesson.

我们下节课再见。

Muah.

么么哒。